Thursday, December 27, 2012

Supernatural Landscape

I've been neglectful of my blog of late, for several reasons all of which are not reflective of any particular faucet of artist endeavour. Indeed life continues as it usually does, with time spent during the weekly daylight hours at a workplace and my evenings and weekend painting. And I have been painting almost exclusively, without playing in clay for several months now.

What have I been painting? I'm not sure how to explain it, nor to validate the activity itself. I'm painting imagined landscapes, and experimenting with the paint itself, for my own purposes, something I am certain that artists before me have been doing for centuries past for themselves.

But I remain stubbornly committed to avoiding the depiction of traditional form and the methods used since history started recording it. I admit to putting in a few shadows in a recent piece, the first in many years. But if a viewer is looking for a light source, or been reading one of those "how to read a painting" books written by so-called "experts" that can't actually paint themselves - to these individuals I wish them to find another artist, perhaps one willing to spend their hours following histories blueprint.

I prefer instead to create my own, whether it only be worthy of being forgotten or not.

It doesn't really matter; in my own time I shall try to explain.


Finished this piece in late October, and it's a depiction of a fluid foundation. I like fluid forms, organic elements mixed with the everyday graphic forms that are a part of our lives. I've added some of this context back into this landscape, first in a registrated fashion in this piece. The starry sky was an ode to an evening spent outside.

No comments:

Post a Comment