Sunday, May 2, 2010

Noting the absence of light


Small and fast was this one, working in oil, done last night. (4"x6") Series is loosely based on the ravine setting I've moved into and life in general at the moment.


No matter what i do, I cannot photograph this painting satisfactorly. I've given up by now. You simply must see this one in person to fully appreciate it. (30"x40")


Again, difficult to photograph, but here is the whole piece pretty much completed. As good a photo as I can take myself (which is not saying much). (20"x24")

Have made particular note of the essensial need for better lighting in my studio. As an artist who works predominantly in the evening or afterdark hours, when my works are taken out into the daylight this is noticabley evident. I have to find a way to either paint outside, at a minium surrounded by natural daylight, or drastically improve the interior situation at my easel. This will become a focus in the following week(s).

Have been continuing to paint without drawing with some success. Needless to say, I really miss drawing. Am not too sure that the directional flow created by the hand underpainting is really beneficial or detrimental to the essence of the final piece; I'm of two minds about this and thoroughly undecided. Perhaps this needs to be merged more in thought and practice with the presently unknown resulting image, to ensure a unity of both. This beyond a doubt would limit the organization of colours over form to something that is meticulously preplanned, which concurrently denies the freshness or spirit that needs to be captured in order to have a successful painting.

Working in both mediums for years, I can say that acheivement of this in practice would perhaps be easiest in acrylic, but that freshness and lustfulness of colour would come for using oils; and I want to use oils. It might not photograph well, but one needs to feel that lust when looking upon a painting.

No comments:

Post a Comment